On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 2:12 PM, Dale E Sterner <sunbeam...@juno.com> wrote:
> I wouldn't expect them to ever release the source but
> to put it back on the market for sale, like it use to be.
> Not everthing can be open and free. If you tell them you
> have a million downloads they may feel there is once
> again a viable market for their product and will sell
> and upgrade their dos line. I thing that Corel still has
> alot of dos fans out there. I think alot of people miss
> the simplicity and practicality of dos. Don't expect the
> world to be completely free. DOS isn't worth much
> without high quality software to run on it

I wouldn't expect release of source, either, though it would be nice.
But neither would I expect release for sale. Who would *buy* it?  DOS
has been dead for years, and I doubt there would be enough paying
customers to make sales worth the while.  Actually *selling* stuff
involves costs to be *able* to sell it, and unless you are confident
of a decent sales volume, it's not worth doing.

Yes, FreeDOS 1.1 has gotten a million downloads, but that, by itself,
is meaningless.  How many of the downloaders actually installed it,
and on what?  How many are actually using it, and what are they doing
with it if they are?  (My own bet is that most actually using it are
doing do to play old DOS games *native*, not use stuff like WP or
QPro.)

Best case, you get what Embarcadero once did.  They inherited the
former Borland DOS products like Turbo-C, and were offering them as
unsupported freeware downloads from a community link on their site.
There was no *paying* market for the DOS stuff, but making it
available was a nice gesture and good publicity for the Windows based
stuff they could *sell*.

> cheers
> DS.
______