Hi Dale,

> The bad thing about Crosstalk is that it only works
> on RS232 now extinct. At work I'd splice in an extra
> link on RS232 lines to our samplers. Xtalk was able to
> capture ... command codes known only ... Then came usb and
> xtalk was useless. With the source code I was hoping
> I was hoping to make xtalk work on usb.

If xtalk just talks to the RS232 low level hardware,
then you want to switch to something which talks to
the operating system driver. A lot more flexible and
convenient. Although not for DOS. In the DOS case,
you can still be lucky if your BIOS supports serial
port adapters which are connected to the PC by USB.

Or if Bret Johnson has something nice for you in his
USB drives for DOS, of course! :-)

In a vaguely related note, FTDI has a chip, FTD232H,
which has good driver support on several operating
systems and is popular in USB adapters with generic
pin headers: The chip can do more or less EVERYTHING
in the realm of serial and parallel transmission on
1, 2, 4 or 8 data lines :-) The problem is that it
is apparently UNETHICAL to use that chip, because
the company seems to use drivers which deliberately
destroy clones of their chips?? If you can tell me
something about those rumors, I would be interested.

For oldschool serial protocols, I have seen a few at
least freeware (in Linux usually also open source)
terminal applications for Windows and Linux which
use the operating system drivers: They do work both
for real RS232 ports and for USB serial adapters in
the "self-reports as serial port" sense. This means
that bluetooth USB adapters also work with them :-)

Cheers, Eric