I believe back in those days, there were IBM compatibles, and IBM clones.  Clones were, ...clones, like we have today, compatible would run DOS programs (WordStar, dBASE,etc.) but were not exactly the same.  Replacing the OS with another is probably not gonna work.  You could replace the command.com with 4DOS to get more features. but the MS-DOS.SYS is probably too hooked into the hardware.

John