This is a very interesting update. Finally Microsoft has released the
source code to MS-DOS under a recognized open source license. And
interestingly, the MIT license (aka Expat license) is compatible with the
GNU GPL (https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#Expat)

These are very old versions of MS-DOS that do not include more advanced
features including CD-ROM support, networking, '386 support, etc. So from a
practical side, FreeDOS would not be able to reuse this code for any modern
features anyway. But for basic features, such as weird edge case
compatibility, we might now be able to reference this code to improve
FreeDOS - assuming the All Rights Reserved proves not to be an issue (I am
not a lawyer).

-

I wonder what compelled Microsoft to rerelease the source code under a
better open source license? I know I have been asking them to do this for
some time, and even met with some reps from Microsoft's open source
division. These conversations didn't seem to go anywhere; Microsoft
appeared not to have much interest in revisiting the old stuff.

But I applaud Microsoft for making this move! This is a great step forward.