On facebook you will reach a lot of people, that do not read or even heard about the mailing list(s). Also I think it encourages people to get involved in discussions, reviews, ... if they see these on their phones every day/when something gets posted.

It is definitely not a place for serious discussion, no "backups", ..., on the other hand people are "more free" in what they are talking about.

I think it is a good place to share information in addition to the usual places. I just have applied for join that facebook group, didn't even know that it exists. 1464 people already in there, that is a lot...

Nils