Hi!

> The two aren't currently compatible.

Which problems did you encounter in which context?

Can you specify error messages and their wording?

Can you give instructions for reproducing the problems?

> Any chance of lfndos getting the bugs ironed out?

If LFNDOS is not what you want, you can use DOSLFN:

> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.2/repos/pkg-html/doslfn.html

As mentioned there, you can download it here:

https://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha/hs/doslfn.zip

It is optimized for use with Volkov Commander:

https://vvv.kiev.ua/download/

Of course you can also use it with other DOS tools
with LFN support. There is a list of examples here:

http://www.cn-dos.net/msdos71/doslfns.htm

Volkov Commander, DOSZip Commander, DOS Navigator OSP,
ZIP, UNZIP (both PK and INFO versions), 4DOS shell and
others. Software which does not support LFN will only
show the short 8.3 file names even if you do load the
LFN driver DOSLFN.

> If I could boot Linux instead, I could do backup and
> restore no problem as Linux has no difficulty with
> long filenames on a fat32 partition.

Correct.

> How is it that Linux can handle Windows 2000 Fat32 and freedos can't?

You are comparing apples and pears, as Germans would say.

Linux is not the same as Windows and DOS is not the same as
Windows either. Windows 2000 *prefers* NTFS instead of FAT32,
while DOS *can not* handle NTFS at all without special drivers
which can be hard to find and limited in functionality, because
NTFS has a lot more features than FAT.

Even for LFN you need drivers for DOS, but not all LFN drivers
do support FAT32 equally well. You should try DOSLFN, I think.

On the other hand, Microsoft stopped support for Windows 2000
almost 10 years ago, while FreeDOS still has active support.

Regards, Eric