> MS DOS 6.x was not the end of MS-DOS. Windows 9x releases added a
> strange protected mode, but unlike NT, these versions of Windows still ran on
> top of MS-DOS.

> There is no support for DOS based Windows any longer and the
> ReactOS project essentially abandoned it. However, there are
> embedded systems that depend on Windows 9x.
we are all aware that you have some hardware running, bought 25 years
ago.

>  It would be great if
> Windows 9x era software could be supported by something open and
> more stable.

why not use the same software for 25 more years?
no one else is interested in your special hardware/software.

> Why not replace the graphical system with FLTK and the
> WIN32API with a special library or something similar?

because "a special library or something similar" is a huge
undertaking.

> Where Windows 9x comes to mind is on systems that use specialty ISA
> hardware which never got ported to NT. One system in particular used
> two servers, Windows 9x on one and MS DOS 6.22 on the other. Given
> time, I would love to substitute Freedos and see what happens. PPM
> bought out the Tyco system, but the new system is designed around
> different hardware with different problems and isn't necessarily
> better. I don't buy the notion that NT is better than DOS based Windows.
> A port of Q-Soft to a combination of FLTK and Freedos is very
> interesting to me. Theoretically, one can reverse engineer to drive
> the shared memory card in Freedos.

you could start by https://www.patreon.com/freedos and see if Jim is able to
help.

sure. even more https://www.patreon.com/freedos and see if Jim is able to help.

> I think Q-Soft has a vxd internal to it, which is crazy IMHO. There
> should be a driver in device manager for the ISA shared memory card.
> The idea of a graphical hardware tree is something that would be
> nice to have in an open source gui that runs on top of Freedos.
wow. we are all impressed by your creativity and ingenuity.
/s

> Even an unofficial service pack for 98se that lets you use more
> memory and modern hardware would be welcome.

Tom