On 26-01-20 07:50, TK Chia wrote:
Hello Karen Lewellen,

 >> But meanwhile, forget Calibre under DOS.  If you really want to use
 >> it, run Linux.

 > the question is, if a compile of  Calibre is possible for dos...you know
 > the focus of this list? smiles.
 > The qt idea came from  a member of the calibre forum at mobileread.

Well, it seems to me too that it will take quite a good while to happen,
if it happens at all.

I see the Calibre source code requires a number of dependency projects
to build and run --- not just Qt, but also Python, and SQLite, and
perhaps others.

So one will either need to get all these dependencies working under
MS-DOS --- and these are rather huge dependencies, not small pieces of
code --- or, at least, to find suitable replacements for some of them.

It seems that there is a port of Python 2.4.2 to MS-DOS on 32-bit
systems (http://www.caddit.net/pythond/), so that _might_ be a place to
start for porting the software over.  But even then, there will still be
a lot of work left to do.  As far as I know, Qt does not yet support
MS-DOS (for either 16-bit or 32-bit systems).

I am the chairman of the Dutch OS/2 VOICE organisation. On OS/2 we had the port of QT 4.78 for OS/2. A port of QT 5.13 took about 12 months by on person working 40 hours a week. So a 32 bit platform is supported by QT.

https://github.com/bitwiseworks/qt5-os2

I am an extremely low skilled developer. But I do not know if its not going to be an extremely large amount of work to get QT ported to DOS. But that also depends off how much of the QT libraries you need.

I also do not know if you would need a GCC compiler for DOS ?

My estimate is that this is starting to sound like a mission impossible. But I hope I am wrong.

Roderick