I may as well jump on the bandwagon here... :D

I find VirtualBox quite easy to set up; most things just work out-of-the box,
whatever the OS you install upon it, and its simple GUI allows even things
which do need a bit of configuration to be handled in a fairly straightforward
manner.

Also - although it does not allow native disk access as you described VMWare
does - its uncompressed .VDI files can be mounted (under Linux, at least) and
accessed directly from the desktop without any intervention from VirtualBox
itself or the VM to which it is attached. Or, if one runs Windows instead,
there is [Arsenal Image
Mounter](https://github.com/ArsenalRecon/Arsenal-Image-Mounter) which provides
similar functionality.