So it's feasible! That's great news! A 486 or Pentium would be great!

Can you give me the links for these discussions? I'll visiting them in hope that maybe someone in the future might have found a solution.

And in the meantime I'll try Fedora ARM, just in case it matters on the RPi4.

Just some fun background: This is a project to create a dedicated DOS computer (it'll boot Linux and then straight to QEMU and FreeDOS) to use as a place to calm down and be more productive. And play classic games ;-)

On 2020-03-18 18:44, Jim Hall wrote:
Actually, I think it's a problem on the Raspberry Pi 4. I've heard from a few folks since the RPi4 came out that my how-to about running FreeDOS on the Raspberry Pi (via QEMU) <https://opensource.com/article/18/3/can-you-run-dos-raspberry-pi> results in a very slow FreeDOS. But I've only heard from people about the Raspberry Pi 4. The RPi3 seems to work okay. I have a Raspberry Pi 3, and it works fine. I've run my RPi3 with both Raspbian and Fedora ARM with the same results, so I don't think it's a distro issue, either.

The Raspberry Pi (as lease version 3) is fast enough to emulate a '486 or Pentium CPU well enough to run DOOM and AsEasyAs and other DOS games and applications without lag.

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 11:17 AM Ralf Quint <freedos...@gmail.com <mailto:freedos...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On 3/18/2020 6:31 AM, Swap Jim via Freedos-user wrote:
     > FreeDOS is very, very slow on QEMU running in a Raspberry 4.
     >
     > It's drawing the screen line by line when I do a DIR on C:\, with
    only
     > 7 directories and files in it. It's worse in full screen.
     >
     > For those of you that run FreeDOS on a Raspberry, can you offer a
    tip
     > to make it go faster?
     >
     > Here is some more info.
     >
     > It's a Raspberry Pi 4 B+ with 4GB of RAM. I'm running the latest
     > Raspbian. I couldn't manage to install QEMU from apt, so I've
    compiled
     > version 4.2.0 with these flags:
     >
     >   ./configure --target-list=i386-softmmu --disable-vnc --enable-sdl
     >   make 'CFLAGS=-Wall -g -O2 -w'

    That is a problem of QEMU, not FreeDOS.

    What some people are forgetting (had the exact kind of discussion in a
    vintage computer forum just a few days ago) is that in this case, QEMU
    needs to completely emulate an x86 CISC CPU on an ARM RISC CPU,
    including converting all data on the fly between little-endian and
    big-endian format on the fly, all the time.

    This is a complete different situation for example than emulating a
    16bit x86 PC system on a 64bit x86 host system, like running DOSBox or
    VirtualBox. While the later doesn't (in 64bit mode) support 16bit
    operation anymore, it is still the same basic underlying CPU
    architecture, and the same data "endian-ness".

    Ralf