These days, it several MBs more than 8MB, but, TinyCoreLinux [0][1] is
a RAMDisk based Linux that requires less than 48MB.    Earlier
versions ran on far less and even offered network connected, command
line versions running in under 16MB of RAM on i486DX or better [2].
Even a mildly loaded i486DX or Pentium will have 24MB or more.

Linux kernels older than 3.0 were far less memory hungry than they are today.

[0] http://tinycorelinux.net/faq.html#req
[1]
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/tiny-core-linux-is-your-smallest-choice-for-an-operating-system/
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tiny_Core_Linux&oldid=422419994