Hi Jerome,

what is V8PT and which beyond-text features does it need?

If the FreeDOS kernel does not boot on 8086, that would
definitely be a bug. Remember that it is a compile time
option whether you want 8086 compatible or whether it is
okay to optimize for 186 / 286 / 386. I do not think we
use any optimizations for newer than 386.

Please describe your experiences with 8086 boot problems.

> On top of that, most drivers require 286 or better, and several are 386+.

Your floppy distro can check for that and at least some
of the "higher CPU needed" drivers do have checks which
let them abort safely on older CPU. You can probably do
some tests on virtual computers, or check the sources :-)

> supporting less than 8086&EGA are a very low priority to me.

But then, supporting floppy install does have some for you.

> had serious issues trying to get FreeDOS to format a 360k.

Please explain. FORMAT should support 360k, both on 1.2 MB
drives and on drives which can only do up to 360k. There are
command line options for that, too.

>  While it isn’t impossible to get the FE running off 360k

What is FE?

Regards, Eric