Michael,

> Booted the Freedos 1.3 RC3 live cd and the SATA I works!!!

Glad to hear that but...

> Windows XP is the only supported system

Officially yes, but as long as it works, it works.
Even when you illegally run Linux or FreeDOS :-))

> I cannot run XP because of HAL and special hardware connected with QSoft

Then you can run XP, but not QSoft, correct?

> QSoft directly tries to reach the special hardware, a shared
> ram card, which HAL will not allow.

I remember similar problems with dongles. Unless
QSoft provides drivers...

> Only Windows on top of a DOS kernel can allow direct access

You know that Windows 98 does not run in FreeDOS,
you would have to use FreeDOS with HX RT, Wine,
ReactOS, Linux or similar if QSoft needs Windows.

Does QSoft need Windows?

> The system this board would go into is a Win9x/MSDOS
> system made up of two computers.

But you claim neither Win9x nor MS DOS runs on the Evoc?

> SATA I where there are two connecters on the SBC simply
> does not work in MS-DOS or WIN9x period.

This has zero relevance for FreeDOS, why do you insist
on mentioning what certain Microsoft products can or
can not do?

>  If freedos works with this SATA I controller,

As long as the controller is not locked to AHCI mode,
it works. As you have already found out today :-))

> that makes supporting a SATA DVD burner much easier

Do you want to BURN DVD or just READ them? Is it okay
to use only ISO9660 or do you also need UDF format?

Burning DVD and using UDF are more complicated, but
some DOS enthousiasts do take the effort to do that.

> I want to try is substituting MSDOS 6.22 with Freedos 1.3

If you are confident that you know how to configure
DOS and have backups of your data, you can always try
FreeDOS and MS DOS in parallel. You could even take
the effort to make a dual boot configuration. There
is no need to wait for FreeDOS 1.3 there.

> Windows 98 SE is not Freedos, but it is the last version
> of Windows that runs on top of a DOS kernel which allows
> booting to a DOS prompt.

Windows 98 SE runs only on MS DOS 7.10 which is included
when you install Windows 98 SE. You cannot simply tell it
to use another DOS kernel.

You CAN use UDVD2 with FreeDOS or with MS DOS 6.22 or 7.10,
but that will only make the DVD drive work for your DOS and
NOT for Windows 98 SE. Because Windows versions newer than
3.xx rarely use DOS drivers. They need real Windows drivers.

Regards, Eric