No, it was application-level, and AFAIR it required the applications not to be too greedy about what they do. I think that what you describe now isn't possible without introducing some form of (expensive) emulation to avoid the different systems to fight for shared resources. At the very least it would require an emulation of a different BIOS for each instance.

I wonder how far one could get with just an emulated 8086 core, 640K of mapped memory and a simulated BIOS. Perhaps it could run some early MDA-compatible software that was made before the "use hardware directly" era.

Mateusz