On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 12:15:04PM -0400, dmccunney wrote:

> My old 32 bit desktop has a half height combo 3.5"/5.25" floppy drive.
> It was originally seen as drives A: and B:, and which was seen as
> which was controlled by a jumper setting on the drive.  That went away
> in an emergency motherboard replacement.  The new mobo would see only
> *one* of the drives as A:, and I had to pull the drive and change the
> jumper setting if I wanted to access the 5.25" drive instead of the
> 3.5" drive.

Indeed it seems to be the same "feature".

> The new machine doesn't have floppy slots on the mobo, so while I have
> the drive I can't hook it up.  I *do* have a USB 3.5" floppy drive
> which is seen as A: when connected and works fine, but I have no
> current way to access 5.25" diskettes.  (I have some old stuff I'd
> *like* to access)

Yes, I had similar problem a few years ago... finally I just prepared long
cables to connect big FDD as kind of "external drive". ;)

> (For that matter, I still have my original XT clone on a shelf, with
> two 20*MB* Seagate MFM hard drives where the drives do not have
> onboard controllers and connect to a card on the mobo.  I'd *love* the
> get the contents of the drives copied to a USB flash drive, but
> haven't found a way to do it.)

A solution exists:

 http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergeys-projects/xt-cf-lite

I also have two old XT mobos, going to fit them with this "modern HDD" :)
--
regards,
Zbigniew