On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 10:11:33AM +0200, Eric Auer wrote:

> Is that with EMM386 NOEMS option? I expect EMS 3.2 to
> be rarely necessary and with NOEMS you can still use
> EMS 4.0 which people often forget. With 64k extra UMB.

I didn't write down the particular results and conditions - just noted the
general rule: using more modern motherboards one gets 2-3 times less UMB
(in the same conditions).

> I would really recommend a PCI or PCIe graphics card
> for DOS, at least AGP. Very few DOS applications know
> how to use acceleration and ISA is REALLY slow in data
> transfer. So the faster transfer of PCI etc. really
> helps most DOS games. Also, VESA VBE BIOS is nice :-)

Of course PCI bus is much faster, still even 16-bit ISA cards, if one uses
good quality graphics adaptor, is "fast enough" for DOS applications.

Recall that "landmark" in 3D gaming - "Ultima Underworld"? I remember that
"back in the day" I was playing it on my 386DX40 fitted with that mentioned
Tseng ET4000, and that graphics was smooth.

"Wing Commander" on the same gear was unplayable, because it was... much
too fast.

In general if you mean these modern 3D games that indeed do require very
fast graphics system, it is rather realm of Windows, not DOS. But for all
these "Duke Nuke'm", "Doom", "Wolfenstein" etc. PCI-less machine will do.

Of course combined ISA/PCI board won't hurt, since PCI/AGP graphics adaptors
are not just faster, but (first of all) easier to get and much cheaper than
ISA cards.

> PS: Very interesting that your floppy controller from
> the other thread DOES support two drives in Linux, but
> not in DOS, as a possible BIOS issue.

Yes, I filed a "bugreport" to ASRock a few days ago, but no response so far
--
regards,
Zbigniew