In pure DOS, such cards will probably not work unless they have their own
boot ROM (BIOS extension) on-board.

I believe SATA RAID cards typically did have their own boot ROM on-board,
to allow RAID volumes to boot an OS. Those would definitely work in DOS as
well.

You don't actually have to use the RAID functionality on such card. You can
just plug in a single disk and that should boot just fine a well. The first
time you boot with such a configuration, the boot ROM might prompt you to
press a key during boot, to enter a setup program in the ROM that will
require you to configure the disk configuration. But it should be pretty
straightforward.

You might also be able to find non-RAID SATA PCI cards with boot ROMs on
them, but the one I used years ago did not have such a ROM, and I could
therefore only use it to add a secondary non-bootable disk to my system.