I've found that some software refuses to run on removables.
They warn you that the media is removable but on Komputer Bay
chips they run well.

cheers
DS

(mailto:bretj...@juno.com?to=%22Bret%20Johnson%22%20<bretj...@juno.com>)>

> wrote:
> The problem I have found in writing disk drivers in the past (like
> my USB drivers) are the disks that do NOT show themselves as
> removable when they actually are, not the ones (like SanDisk) that
> show reality. If a disk says it is not removable it means you should
> NEVER need to worry about somebody removing it and replacing it with
> something different. That is never the case with CF media. Even
> though the SATA controller may not be removable, the CF cards are
> and they should be treated as such. SATA is designed for use with
> removable media.
>
> I'm not sure about SATA, but at least with floppies and USB the
> hardware doesn't have a disk eject sensor so you need to mange the
> potential media changes with software. At least on floppies, this is
> normally done with a timer and if the disk hasn't been accessed for
> more than a few seconds when the OS asks the driver if the disk has
> changed the driver must respond with "I don't know" (which DOS must
> effectively treat as a "yes"). Of course, this decreases throughput
> speed since DOS must read the first part of the disk (boot sector,
> BIOS Parameter Block, FAT, etc.) to try and decide if the media has
> really changed or not instead of just relying on what's in the cache
> from the last access. You can also continually poll the disk (every
> few seconds) and then you can definitively tell DOS "yes" or "no",
> but that uses power so may not be a good idea on something running
> off batteries (like a laptop).
>
> Bottom line is that the SanDisk CF cards are they way they should be
> even though some computers may have a problem with them. In
> addition, I believe SATA drivers should always (at least by default)
> assume removable media unless you can verify they have a hardware
> media change sensor.
> Some OSes like (unsurprisingly) Windows >= XP and Haiku won't
> install or run properly on a CF card whose removable bit is set for
> absolutely no good reason. If you manage to flip the bit to off it
> will just treat it as a hard disk and then everything works as it
> should. Sandisk used to have a dos tool to do just that for their CF
> cards. But they silently withdrew it so they could sell so-called
> "industrial" CF cards that have that bit set to off for twice to
> thrice the price. Linux, *BSD, DOS do not give a rat's ass whether a
> CF card has the removable bit flipped or not. They will install and
> run with no problem. Which is how it should be. Linux doesn't check
> whether a CF card is removable or not because it is the
> responsibility of the user to know not to jack out the CF card when
> they are using it as a hard drive. Just like you don't remove a live
> CD when you're installing from it or when you run some OS from
> floppies.

Why a Wisconsin Poll Is Getting So Much Attention
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5f99dae3717d35ae350cbst03duc1
Black Teen Was Alive When Covered by Blanket: Girlfriend
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5f99dae3911855ae350cbst03duc2
He Told Sisters to Wear Masks. He Was Stabbed 27 Times
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5f99dae3b21a95ae350cbst03duc3