Hello everybody,

I just joined this newsletter and I hope the community, I had a few tries
with FreeDOS but mostly in the VM and mostly for the use cases that DOSBOX
handles much better.

None of these are related to my current deployment, which was hacking the
UEFI boot manager that comes with Intel Mac on one of my old iMacs and
installing both Windows (7) partition and FreeDOS to boot natively, no VM,
just on the bare metal computer inside the aluminum box.

It works, I can boot into it. I can run lots of software and I rather
installed it to try something new than to emulate SB and play old games.

My research will be mostly development and to test how I can switch from
FreeDOS to long mode (64bit protected mode) but I cannot even use dev tools
provided in packages as they often return DOS16/m exceptions and hang the
computer out.

With this I have few starter question as a user:
- DOS16/m is a 16bit protected mode extender. Does it mean that FreeDOS
runs in 16bit protected mode from the command line or perhaps some driver
is interfering or rather the iMac I use has hardware that may cause some
obvious incompatibilities.

I'm happy to dedicate some time for further testing and even debugging but
I need some hints how to start. Will somebody here be available to assist
me a bit with starter points?