On December 15, 2020 6:45:46 PM GMT+01:00, ZB <zbigniew2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>There's no need to wait for "8086 code" - if you're interested I can
>show
>you example of TCL/Tk solution. Of course similar way it'll work in DOS

Doing things on modern platforms with lots of RAM and 32bit ints is easy. Doing
the same with a 8086, fitting in kilobytes of RAM and providing a reasonably
fast UI is entirely another story.

> (as Lynx does with HTML, for example).

Lynx is cool, but it is neither lightweight nor 8086 compatible.

>Actually that lightweight application could recognize \<b\> as well as
>it presently recognizes "%h" - and then it could show that heading,
>say,
>centered and using "bold" attribute, right?

And the html should be preformatted for 80-columns displays. And it would have
to be encoded in a code page that browsers do not understand. And the reader
would need to handle a variety of html thingies like &gt; &nbsp; &copy; etc.

>All the other HTML tags can be simply ignored (not interpreted and of
>course
>not displayed), so help files could remain HTML, maybe just being
>prepared
>most simplistic way - while still being HTML, therefore
>any-browser-compatible.

You just described how the FreeDOS help.exe works.

Mateusz