On 3/10/21 10:50 AM, dmccunney wrote:

The fascinating bit for me is that the distinction between RAM and
disk is steadily blurring.  Things like nVME make it possible to have
what works like RAM but is non-volatile storage whose content will
survive a reboot.

We are just scratching the surface here.

I don't think this will make as much difference as people often think. Remember, we've been there before: Core memory was non-volatile, and some of the really early machines had drums for main memory, but systems that were born on architectures with storage that was 100% physically non-volatile still ended up with a distinction between logically volatile working memory and logically non-volatile long term storage, and were thus able to transition to volatile transistor RAM with minimum fuss.