On 21 Apr 2021 at 0:00, Bryan Kilgallin wrote:

> I had transferred data from my DOS PC to my Linux PC via a USB-2
> stick. But I thought that I might do something as simple as printing
> text, directly from the DOS machine.

So there's another solution, one I already hinted at:

Install Samba on your Linux PC. It may take a wee bit of learning to
configure, but it does not bite back. I can help with snippets of
config to make it accept ancient DOS clients.

Install the Microsoft Network Client for MS-DOS. You can install this
from scratch, or you can try using/refactoring the NetBootDisk:
https://www.netbootdisk.com/floppy/download.htm

...and then redirect the LPT device:

NET USE LPT1: \\my_samba_server\printer_queue

Actually I hope I'm not kidding here... most of the howtos mentioning
this command are actually about doing this in a Windows command
prompt = a more modern version of the MS Network stack... I've never
tried this myselfs in pure DOS.

Frank