Yay! I knew why I posted here. That's exactly the kind of data I'm collecting.
I'm going to try and create a FreeDOS bootable flash drive with the
help of Rufus or some such, and put a screen reader on it. Then I'm
going to dig out my old Juno speech synthesizer, connect it to COM1 of
my old pc, and see if I can get it to speak. From there, the sky's the
limit. It'll probably fail in a dozen unexpected ways and if you folks
are interested I can keep you updated. In any case it's nicely
adventurous.
Best,
Felix