Hi everybody,

http://www.bttr-software.de/freesoft/graphics.htm

lists a number of free and/or open source painting
and image viewer programs for DOS. I wonder what
YOUR impressions are regarding those, because I
would suggest to add at least 1 paint and 1 image
viewer app to our "full" collection of applications.

GrafX2 and OGE are two possible choices for paint
applications listed on the BTTR page.

PAINT2 is still listed as open source in the LSM:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/repositories/1.3/pkg-html/paint2.html

However, as has been mentioned in the WIKI, it has
a number of closed source OBJ files. The LSM should
be updated to reflect that.

http://www.bttr-software.de/products/vp386/

VGA Paint 386 is a Deluxe Paint clone and, according
to https://www.bttr-software.de/products/divt/ causes
instability on exit (in certain cases?) by not properly
restoring interrupt vectors.

The list on BTTR only has closed source freeware image
viewers, but maybe one of the authors would be willing
to release sources. Which ones should be asked and is
any of you feeling like doing that?

 # PictView (Jan Patera)
 # LXPIC (Stefan Peichl)
 # QPV and QPNG (Oliver Fromme)

I guess PictView and maybe LXpic are most interesting.

I also recommend to include MPXPLAY, the versatile media
player with support for modern sound cards, in FreeDOS!

Regards, Eric

PS: Nice that DOS versions of TESTDISK and PHOTOREC exist.