Hello guys,
I was able to get both systems working correctly. I first formatted the
partition and wrote the mbr in Windows 98. Then in freedos I formatted the
filesystem and setup system files with format c: /s. I then used the
advanced installer to install without overriding the mbr, and after
restarting the pentium 2 was able to boot normally, straight from hdd.

With the compaq 486, first off the floppy drive before gave diskette read
errors in bios. This was because the cord and connectors do not have the
missing pin that normal floppy drive connectors use to tell you
orientation. In addition to this there is master connection flip ( middle
part of cable), and both combined means 1 out of 4 possible cable
orientations work. After finding the correct orientation, the gotek and
floppy drive work correctly. Now I am installing freedos with the gotek
(gotek emulates a floppy drive but instead reads iso files on a usb).
Thanks for the help!

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 8:02 AM Andrew <aj1ing...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Gotcha, thanks for the info. Its possible the mobo floppy controller is
> broken. I haven't finished troubleshooting it yet.
>
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 8:00 AM Liam Proven <lpro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 at 18:05, Andrew <aj1ing...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > 3) I havnt worked enough in getting the floppy working on the i386, i
>> think it has to do with a nonstandard ide connection.
>>
>> Standard floppy drives are *not* IDE. They have their own connection
>> (34-way not 40-way) and this is attached to a floppy controller, not
>> an IDE controller.
>>
>> There is no resemblance and no connection between the floppy and IDE
>> controllers. It is just that both use ribbon cables, but of differing
>> widths.
>>

>> N.B. There is a partial exception: "superfloppy" or "floptical" drive
>> use IDE. These take different disks, such as 20MB or 120MB disks, but
>> can read the old style of disks.
>>
>> Some RISC workstations did not have a floppy controller and so if they
>> were fitted with the optional, and rare, floppy drive, these were SCSI
>> floppies that only work on a SCSI card. But no PC-compatible I recall
>> ever used SCSI floppy drives, because they were far too expensive.
>>
>> > The bios doesnt give an error when the connector is upside down, and it
>> sees the drive
>>
>> If a floppy is connected with the cable in the wrong orientation, the
>> classic giveaway is that the floppy drive's access light will be
>> permanently illuminated.
>>

>> --
>> Liam Proven – Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
>> Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lpro...@gmail.com
>> Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn/Flickr: lproven – Skype: liamproven
>> UK: +44 7939-087884 – ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

> --
> Thank you very much,
>
> Andrew Ingram
> Fainman Group