Thanks for your interest, Liam:

  From the FreeDOS PC, I can print a little over a hundred characters.

So does that meant that it _can_ print something?
Yes. I have just got that function operating again.

PRN: -- the default printer
Hm, I'd like all printing to go to the Samba-network printer! So I have edited "C:\MSNET\LOGON.BAT". That is to direct PRN: to the network print queue. Then on the FreeDOS PC, I entered "print readme.txt". Next, "Printing" and "Completed" messages on my Ubuntu PC, coincided with output from the printer. The printed output was 3.4 lines.

COM1: (and 2--4) -- the serial ports
I have my heart-monitor's receiver-box plugged into the FreeDOS PC's serial port. That is my main reason for using FreeDOS!

If you have mapped LPT2 to the network printer then you *must* print
to LPT2. Sending to PRN or LPT1 won't do anything because there's no
device there.
I will henceforth direct printing to PRN.

The easy way to print to any port is just to copy or echo a file to that port.
I have entered this:
        * "copy readme.txt prn".
3.4 lines print.

You *do not need* the PRINT command. The print command is for
*background* printing, so that a user of a non-multitasking OS can get
on with doing something else while the printer works.

This is called printer spooling.
A test that I haven't done is timing printing via different commands.
"Copy" (as above) takes one minute.
Whereas "print readme.txt", takes one minute 6 seconds.

We need complete and accurate information to try to troubleshoot
this, and you are not providing it...
I do not perceive your specification of further information required!

copy readme.txt lpt2:
{README.TXT => LPT2}
I notice a seemingly long time elapsed after entering the command on the
FreeDOS PC. So I reboot the printer.

I do not know what the material in {curly brackets} means so I do not
know how to interpret your reply.
On the FreeDOS PC, I entered "copy readme.txt lpt2:". That action resulted in this PC replying to me "README.TXT => LPT2".

Is the printer a laser printer?
Yes, it is a GDI dumb printer.

If so, then when printing, it will
store up text until it has a full page _then_ print it.
The README.TXT document is several pages long!

A laser
printer is physically only able to print a whole page at a time. It
can't print a few lines at a time like a dot-matrix or inkjet.

So if you only send a few lines, you need to send a form feed after it
to tell the printer "that's all, now print it."
I have sent a document comprising several pages of text. But only the first hundred or so characters get printed!

So you'd do:

echo myfile.txt > lpt2:

... then...

echo ^L > lpt2:

On the FreeDOS PC, I entered this:
        "PRINT README.TXT & PRINT ^^L".
One minute 17 seconds later, was printed the first 3.4 lines of the "README.TXT" document.

--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/