Hi!

I have done a quick test with mpxplay and mplayer:
Mpxplay works out of the box for mp3 files on my
HDA hardware. With mplayer for DOS, the default
"aulib" only uses one speaker, but "-ao wss" will
select a driver which works in stereo. The option
"-ao allegro" fails to produce sound. Also, the
(only) VESA driver of mplayer fails to find MCGA
style modes, so 320x200, 8 bpp FLI fail to play.
Not sure which -vf or -vo could work this around?

The bad news is that the mpxplay license is not
open enough and there has been no reaction to a
mail and a ticket by me about the issue. The used
mplayer version also is, as far as I remember, one
which have downloaded as pre-compiled binary, so I
am not sure how well the official open source DOS
version of mplayer works at the moment.

Regards, Eric