Dec 30, 2021 12:22:48 Liam Proven <lpro...@gmail.com>:

> I have been using NT since the first version, 3.1, in 1993. There is
> no built-in facility or tool to run DOS under it and never has been.
> That is why I asked. This is highly relevant and important to the
> question. There are no "dots" to follow.

NTVDM exists and runs a stripped down version of MS-DOS 5. I think it even does
have non-stripped versions of the relevant files available if the user decides
to sys a floppy. But I've never heard of it being possible to run anything but
there provided build of MS-DOS 5 in NTVDM. Maybe he ran the FreeDOS installer
and managed to pull in components of FreeDOS, but unless he's using an emulator
or VM, I agree that he certainly isn't running FreeDOS on top of XP.

Jon Brase