Hi!

I used this version of OAK https://www.hiren.info/download/dos-files/oakcdrom.sys

and the problem persists. I even tried 3 different sound cards with the CDROM in UDMA and PIO modes:
- SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold

- SoundBlaster Vibra 128

- Yamaha YMF724

In all 6 tests, the CD input would produce static noise, except with Vibra 128. Don't even get me started on this card, it's always been an unstable mess in DOS, courtesy of JEMM386.

Do things work better with no JEMM... loaded?
Have you tried using XMGR instead of HIMEM?

Regarding the sound question in general, do
the games use the audio PLAY function of the
drive? If yes, is the wiring okay and are the
games able to properly configure the soundcard
volumen control and mixer to the correct input?

If the games use the function to read the raw
audio sectors instead and then play them as a
part of the game sound itself, the whole flow
of data and sound would be different and the
question would change into whether the games
can properly READ the sound data, while using
the normal game sound driver to then play it.

Any more ideas? It used to work flawlessly in FreeDOS 1.2 with SHSUCDX backported from 1.3 RC that was newest like, at least a year ago. It turned out back then that SHSUCDX from FD 1.2 does not support CD playback at all.

I suggest that you compare the UDVD2 versions
and SHSUCDX versions of FreeDOS 1.2 and 1.3 to
find out whether you need the FD1.2 version of
one (which?) or both drivers for your games.

If you were using a different driver, such as
ATAPICDD or OAKCDROM or AHCICD instead of UDVD2,
or MSCDEX instead of SHSUCDX, you can of course
also compare the effects of those differences.

However, as far as I understand, 1.2 worked
out of the box with old SHSUCDX and old UDVD2
and your OAKCDROM experiment is just to check
whether that works better with new SHSUCDX
than new UDVD2 does, also possibly related
to changed command line options in the new
FreeDOS 1.3 style default boot config files?

Thanks for testing!

Regards, Eric

PS: As usual, the memory drivers can also be
part of the problem. HIMEM (try XMGR), JEMMEX
(try JEMM386 or no JEMM... at all) etc.