> There is one other thing to try via v8power tools. Instead of using
> vgotoxy up | vecho /n /e, there is another combination to do it as
> well.
>
> echo off | vgotoxy up | vdelete
>
> Anyhow, vdelete is a far simpler program than vecho. You may even
> have better compatibility results.

I'll try it and see, but am still not expecting it to be a universal solution,
especially for DOS < v3.3.

> However, you may be better off writing a HUSHECHO program that does
> all of this. It could test the DOS Version and perform any
> additional stuff required. As you find exceptions, just add a little
> more to it. Probably only be 100-200 byte com file total even with
> the exceptions.

Unless I get a really strong urge for some screwy reason, I don't think I'll be
writing a custom program for such a trivial and obscure issue. In fact, rather
than fixing the screen, if I wrote anything I think it would be something that
actually tries to manipulate the ECHO state (if that's even possible without a
WHOLE lot of work).

But, I still think this provided an interesting discussion and generated some
good ideas people may be able to use in other situations.  I definitely found
it interesting how the different DOS versions handle something as seemingly
benign as processing the ECHO command in batch files.

I'll probably end up just learning to live with the screen clutter and leave it
at that.