>> Is it possible to have a ZZZ9: drive
>>  in DOS (or other many letter ID) ?
>
> unlikely. some DOSes allowed 0x40..0x59
> ie A..Z + @[]\^
>
> but none allowed anything other then x:

As Tom indicates, later versions of MS-DOS allowed up to 32 drive letters.  You
set this up by using the LASTDRIVE=32 command in CONFIG.SYS (instead of the
usual LASTDRIVE=Z or whatever).  The problem is that even though this let you
have something like \: as a "legal" drive identifier, you can almost never get
any programs to recognize it as such (and it can cause great confusion).  You
can't even use it at an MS-DOS command-line to identify a file (I've tried),
even in versions of MS-DOS where it is legitimate.

I read or heard somewhere that 4DOS implemented some special escape sequences
or something you could enter at a command-line or in a batch file to identify
such drives, but have never tried it myself.  There may be other ways to do it
also, but I'm not sure.  It's best to leave it at 26.