> On Mar 13, 2022, at 5:49 PM, Ruben Figueroa <rd...@users.sourceforge.net>
> wrote:
>
> The above notes :"the return of networking"  I installed FreeDOS as the OS
> which has a ethernet port.  After installing what I thing I need and reboot I
> get this message "Physical hardware networking is not supported at this
> time."  I've see youtube videos where installed in a VM like Oracle and it
> works.  Is that what I need to do?

Setting up networking on Real Hardware usually requires a packet driver from
the manufacturer. Most of which are not open source.

When FDNET is invoked from the FDAUTO.BAT file, it is started with the option
‘START’. This is basically the same as when you just run FDNET from the command
line. It will do a quick hardware test for known supported virtual machine
platforms (like VirtualBox and vmWare). If it is running on one of the
supported platforms, it sets up networking.

But on real hardware and other platforms, it gets a more complicated.

You can attempt to force FDNET to setup networking anyway, using ‘FDNET try’.
It will attempt to use the supplied packet drivers and if successful,
networking will be up. You would then just replace the ‘start’ with ‘try’ in
the FDAUTO.BAT file.

If that does not work, you will need to find a packet driver to support your
NIC. You can create a FDNETPD.BAT file that simply loads that driver. And place
your FDNETPD.BAT in the FDNET directory. When FDNET is run, it will see the
custom driver loading batch and run it. Then afterwards it will start the DHCP
client.

Or, you will need to do/add full manual network configuration to your startup
config files and not use FDNET to bring up the connection.