Hi Robert,

>>> It maybe easier to use a hex editor on kernel.sys & command.com. ;-)
>>> Just my two cents ...
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Robert
>>
>> the kernel is UPX'ed (and can't be UPX -D 'ed); a hex editor will not work.
>>
>> similar command.com, but this can be decompressed.
>>
>> just MY two cents

> You're right. I "love" these modern times.

according to https://moddingwiki.shikadi.net/wiki/Microsoft_EXEPACK ,
the EXEPACK option (which was a precursor to PKLITE, DIET, ... which
were precursors to UPX) was available for MS link.exe (at least)
in 1986. which doesn't make 2022 exactly 'modern times'.

in addition, these early versions of EXEPACK were buggy (they assumed
that FFFF:0020 points to the same location as 0000:0010), which lead
to problems when programs could be loaded into the 1'st 64K of memory.

it basically layed the foundation to the A20 gate being still around in
'modern times', and the existence of LOADFIX.

actually, the same bug plagued early versions of PKLITE. at least
later versions of PKLITE were able to unpack and repack the executable
and fix the bug.

Tom