Hi,

On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 12:50 PM Aitor Santamaría <aitor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I haven't been following much of what happens with the different assemblers
> these days, but my idea is
> that the same thing as with C or Pascal happens: as much as TASM or MASM are
> nice products, there
> are hardly open source actively maintained products that are compatible with
> them, and hence
> NASM can be an alternative.
>
> I may be wrong but leaving aside smaller pet problems and trying to go for
> broader products most widely
> used even by the FreeDOS community:
>
> - Assembler - there is NASM, not compatible with MASM/WASM.  I guess there is
> still  (J)WASM as
> alternative, as I assume that MASM/TASM haven't been neither open sourced nor
> actively maintained.

Strictly speaking, OpenWatcom is "Open Source" (OSI) but not "Free
software". Its WASM (and WASMR [real mode]) do have "partial" Ideal
mode support via "-zcm=tasm". I believe this is mostly for the
extended struct syntax (which I'm not familiar with).

> - C: the only option seems to be OWC for 16-bit and with a good amount of
> libraries. Apparently there's
> a community maintained what is called OWC 2.0 as the original project seems
> to be gone. If they close,
> I don't know of an alternative 16-bit active open source C compiler.

DeSmet C and IA16-ELF (GCC) both work fairly well (but not necessarily
every memory model).

* http://desmet-c.com/
* https://github.com/tkchia/build-ia16/releases

> - Pascal: I admit I haven't tried FPC/16-bit yet, and see if I can happen to
> compile KEYB.  I am afraid it'll be hard
> because the resident part of KEYB has a lot of assembler. TP/BP are now
> unmaintained (and not open sourced).
> Similarly, if they close, we don't have an alternative 16-bit active open
> source Pascal compiler.

* https://wiki.freepascal.org/DOS
* https://sourceforge.net/projects/freepascal/files/msdos/3.2.2/

I can send you my local copy (or show you how to get it) of the 3.2.2
cross-compiler (i8086-msdos) that works under latest HX pre-releases.
It has a built-in assembler and linker. It supports all memory models.

> What a sad panorama :)

Honestly, if DJGPP (32-bit DPMI) isn't good enough for some projects,
it's unlikely that they'll bother supporting 16-bit either. (We did
finally get builds for GCC 12. Anyone learn C++17 [default] yet??)