Hi Liam,

Windows 3.11 cannot be run in 386 enhanced mode on FreeDOS, as it shows ERROR:
Unsupported MS-DOS version.

Windows 3.11 can be run in standard mode on FreeDOS, but when I launch the
MS-DOS Prompt, it shows Invalid Opcode.

Is there anyone who can solve this problem?

As far as I know, this is a known and documented issue.

There are several factors. Windows for Workgroups 3.11
(unless in limited safe mode) and the 386enh mode of
Windows 3.0 and 3.1 require DOS to be predictable and
compatible enough to wrap themselves around DOS to be
able to create several independent DOS tasks.

The solution for THIS problem should be to use the
kernel updates from Jeremy to implement some special
API extensions for Windows. Unfortunately, they are
not yet part of the distro, but I am sure somebody
can mention a good download link here on the list?

Another problem is that Windows cannot deal with
large amounts of RAM, so you have to configure
your EMM386 (yet another compatibility issue! It
may be best to use the MS version??) and/or HIMEM
(or maybe XMGR?) to only show an "understandable"
amount and/or configure Windows to use a smaller
swap factor. It cannot work with FAT32 or LBA as
far as I know, so you have to tell it to use DOS
and BIOS for disk access etc.

So, no, for now it cannot be fixed.

See above, there could be a chance :-) I hope this
thread is seen by Jeremy and other experts :-)

Maybe in some future version of DOS.

Maybe sooner than we think.

If you really need Windows 3.1x on a FAT32-capable DOS, then I would
suggest DR-DOS from the DR-DOS Enhancement Project or possibly IBM
PC-DOS 7.1.

See above - Windows for Workgroups should have a
more general problem with FAT32 and LBA, so first
try to get it to work at all. Maybe a good (!)
virtual PC configured to have "retro" hardware,
little RAM, small FAT16 disk etc. is a start?

Regards, Eric