Hello again,

I'm trying to write a menu for playing games. The FreeDOS setup I've described earlier in my query on how to unload drivers will be presented in some local conventions. It's not just my personal gaming setup, I want to bring enjoyment to others. From past experience I know that letting random strangers have full reign over this computer is a really bad idea. One person vandalized FDAUTO.BAT with self-incriminating grafitti and created a bunch of lewd directories in random places. Another person nagged me constantly because they wanted to have Perl, because they found FDIMPLES and found in the package indices that installable Perl is a thing in FreeDOS. I caved in to those complaints and this individual waited until the convention is off for the night, and toiled away until the break of dawn writing a text-based adventure game in Perl. What a mad lad. Nevertheless, it's something I'd like to avoid in the future. That's why, I want to write a menu. If you remember those bootlegs cartridges for the NES that pack 999 games into 1 cartridge and you simply select which one you want to play, that's more or less what I'm going for.

So, I wanted to implement this completely in Batch so that we don't run into the problem of taking memory that really demanding games, like Wolf, wish they could have. My idea is that I could put a Batch script in every game's directory where we can do simple things like start the game or run the setup, or regenerate the config to a known working state. In order to find games dynamically, rather than have a list of games written down in a file, I wanted to run SEARCH C:\GAMES START.BAT, but that started listing absolutely everything on C:\. When I tried doing SEARCH C:\GAMES\**\START.BAT, it printed some nonsense. How can I properly use the SEARCH command?

Best regards,

Michał