I did a lot of programming on DOS, both professionally and for pleasure.
 Clipper databases, the descendent of dBase, was the day job.  I
learned C programming, starting with the Microsoft compilers Quick C and
MSVC, moving on to various other compilers.

Wordperfect 5.1 was in use every day, along with the WordPerfect Editor
for programming and other plain text files.  Lotus 1-2-3 was used all
the time because I developed and taught classes in it.  Creating a
sophisticated 1-2-3 spreadsheet (lots of macros) for a major company was
my first job when I started my own business.

A huge help to me was DesqView, enabling me to switch between text
editor, compiler and command line, all open at the same time.  I've
never used an IDE since.

  Chris