I tend to be very pragmatic with my code.  For example, instead of trying
to port existing libraries (and dealing with all of their dependencies)
I'll usually just write what I need from scratch and do the bare minimum.
Where that is not possible (HTTPS on an 8088 class machine) I'd go with
some sort of proxy that meets the spirit of the requirement.

Anyway, I think the OP has been scared off so this is an academic
discussion now. ;-0