Let me suggest the following hypothesis:

Your FreeDOS and graphical hardware is running with the HW-default
code page, known as Code Page 437.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_437

Whereas, you're trying to display text encoded in CP850.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_850
CP850, aka PC Latin 1, which is not the same as ISO Latin 1.

Perhaps your keyboard is already switched to produce CP850.

You probably need to run some program(s) to load the right codepage
into the graphics card. I don't have a ready-made and tested recipe
for you... could be something like:

In config.sys:
COUNTRY=055,850,C:\FDOS\BIN\COUNTRY.SYS

In autoexec.bat:
DISPLAY CON=(EGA,850,2)
MODE CON CP PREP=(437,850) C:\FDOS\BIN\EGA.CPX)
MODE CON CP SEL=850
   maybe also:
CHCP 850

Further reading: