Hi Karen,

please specify the type of diagnostics you would be interested in.

For example PCISLEEP can give you a list of PCI devices in your PC,
but you seem to be interested in disk or filesystem analysis etc.?

Maybe tools which display the SMART health status of your disks?
I remember having used tools for that and to configure disk sleep.
SMARTUDM (1997-2003-?) from sysinfolab was one I tried. No idea
whether there are variants supporting post-IDE/ATA/SATA drives.
SMARTDFT / DFT 3.00 also displayed or logged SMART disk status.

Regards, Eric

PS: Interesting to notice that Veit's tools still exist on
https://kannegieser.net/veit/programm/index_e.htm

My hope is that there is also dos based  software supporting the care and diagnostics of that infrastructure?

For example,  while I have Norton Utilities for DOS, it cannot see my larger drives and so forth.