Zornig Jürgen (BD3) schrieb:
> Hi folks!
>
> I´m looking for a "piece of software" to visualize some flood/water level
> sensor data on a simple map and project it to a big screen in our central
> flood-response-headquaters.
>
> This data renderer should manage the following things/features:
>  - display simple vector and raster layers which come from formats like
> Shape, GML, KML, GeoTIFF, and so on. (BTW: PostGIS and so on isn´t needed
> because we are not able to offer a distaster proof geodatabase environment)
>  - fetch some sensor data from another (disaster proof because it´s the
> sensor network) ODBC Database Connection
>  - perhaps some simple navigation tools for zooming in and out and panning
> around
>  - refresh the map display automagically every, let´s say, 10 seconds
>
> I thought of a local install of UMN Mapserver and a simple but self
> refreshing Webclient which connects to the UMN on localhost, but perhaps you
> have much better ideas?
>
> I´ll be grateful for every small idea, thanks a lot in advance.

So far i know there is no "out-of-the-box" solution. We have experimented with
there webservices and the results are mixed for our
case. NTL there is projekt going on working to display out data as time series
(not water related :) but i know the german
bundesamt für gewässerkunde had a project for sensor web. may be you find the
links below useful:

*
http://www.dlz-it.de/DE/Aktuelles/Veranstaltungen/2010-09-28/2010-09-28_node.html
* www.dlz-it.de/cae/servlet/contentblob/40384/publicationFile/2819/06.pdf

Nice results (without webservices) can be made with the GMT packet that also
has a large and active support community.
It produces non interactive pictures with very hight quality.

re,
 wh