On Mon, 2017-07-10 at 12:44 +0200, Tomas Krizek wrote:
> On 07/10/2017 12:16 PM, Simo Sorce via FreeIPA-devel wrote:
> > Hi Fraser,
> > I think you put on a reasonable proposal, however If I had to
> > design
> > this right now and had the freedom to change dogtag and the rest of
> > freeipa to cope I would do the following:
> >
> > - Change the LDAP profile storage to have versioned subtrees for
> > "system" profiles, and have a "custom" subtree for user profiles.
> >
> > - In the base tree have a version attribute that set what version
> > dogtag should use, if absent dogtag will assume its current
> > hardcoded
> > default version. Profiles are never updated per se, a new version
> > is
> > installed and the version is upped.
> >
> > - On upgrade a modified profile is moved to the "custom" tree and
> > the
> > original version of the profile is stored in the system tree. This
> > is
> > assuming this does not cause older versions of dogtag to misbehave,
> > otherwise we keep the modified version and make sure not to raise
> > the
> > version to use. We also find a way to notify the admin he should
> > move
> > customized profiles in the correct new section and leave system
> > profiles alone.
> >
> > - Potentially if a dogtag server does not understand a new version,
> > it
> > keeps using an older version (perhaps we can have a "mandatory
> > version
> > attribute" to cause older versions to return an error instead. (see
> > also previous case)
> >
> > The reason for this is that having a complex check on ipa versions
> > is
> > potentially fragile as well it adds yet another dimension to the
> > things
> > an admin need to know about to figure out why its domain is not
> > using
> > the "right" profiles.
> > And I think in some cases there is no "conflict" between version
> > profiles only new "optional" attributes you may want to
> > add/support.
> >
> > The other option is to tie the dogtag profiles version to the
> > domain
> > level as well, and only ever use new ones when the whole domain
> > level
> > is upped. This is conditional on newer versions of dogtag being
> > able to
> > use older profile versions without modification in LDAP.
>
> I'd rather avoid any domain level bumps unless there is serious
> justification for it. Additional domain levels introduce big testing
> overhead.

That is the problem with domain levels, you do not introduce a whole
new domain level for one feature. It means piling up (and keeping
disabled) features until you have enough to justify a domain level
bump. So that means, if that is the only option, the feature needs to
be delayed until there are enough.

Simo.