Hi all,

Felipe made nightly testing working as PRs in freeipa main Git Hub repo.

e.g.:
https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa/pull/1624
https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa/pull/1623

This is good. We can see the results publicly in comparison to
"upstream Jenkins". I also believe that it will be more stable. But
time will tell it. A disadvantage is more noise in mail notifications,
but that is not that drastic.

Let's discuss some aspects. First one is definitions of the tests
(.freeipa-pr-ci.yaml) and how to extend them.

We currently use 3 definitions:
* gating, the definition in repo
* nightly master tests
* nighly rawhide tests

Gating definition is in repo. But both nightly are not.

What is the way how other team members can extend this definition?
Where are they kept?

Could we also put them into a repo?

What about the following solution:
1. create a directory with tests definitions, e.g. /ipatests/definitions
2. put these 3 files there
  - gating
  - nightly_master
  - nightly_rawhide
3.  make .freeipa-pr-ci.yaml a symlink to /ipatest/definitions/gating
4. for nightly testing do PR which would change only the symlink

Benefits:
- anybody can extend nightly test suite
- the nighlty test suite can be extended right away in a PR which adds the tests
- nightly tests won't fail on merge conflict when somebody extends
current gating spec

Possible alternative is to make it more complex and use something like
includes instead of symlinks, but that would need update of PR-CI and
I don't see a real benefit in comparison to the symlink solution.

--
Petr Vobornik