On 02/21/2018 03:39 PM, Rob Crittenden via FreeIPA-devel wrote:
>>> - install client
>>>   a) if we replace rpm dependancy on authconfig with aushselect we can
>>> go only this way: new installations done with authselect. if --no-sssd
>>> option is provided, then fail.
>> --no-sssd option is already deprecated and should not be used, you don't
>> have to think about that scenario. You can therefore go the a) way and
>> remove the option as a whole so that you can be sure it won't fiddle
>> with new installations.
> I can't seem to find anywhere that this deprecation was announced or
> discussed other than the ticket and commit,
> dfc271fdf4514481c11c342fabda135feeb44de6.
>
> Did anyone ask users, or anyone, if they use this option?
>
> In any case it isn't even clear that the option *is* deprecated. It just
> doesn't show as an option to ipa-client -install (hiding is not
> deprecating).
>
> IMHO to properly deprecate something it should yell loudly whenever
> invoked with a dire warning that it will disappear in the future.

This mostly seems as a review feedback that could have come in
https://pagure.io/freeipa/issue/5860
but did not. But it does not change anything on the fact that the option
is deprecated.

> There is also no man page mention of deprecation, in fact the option is
> still there.
>
> So even if the deprecation is fine and considered, removing the option
> completely has had no visible discussion.

Let's discuss it then. From Fedora/RHEL point of view, I do not see big
value in spending much time in maintaining, supporting or developing
non-SSSD scenarios. Fedora itself does not support these scenarios any
more, after the authselect Fedora change. These very corner cases are
left for manual administrator configuration.

The non-SSSD work and code should be left to FreeIPA platform code, for
platforms that do not use or want to use SSSD.