On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 12:10:31PM +0200, Standa Laznicka via FreeIPA-devel
wrote:
> Hello people of the freeipa-devel channel,
>
> Let me share a design that proposes a way of automating the way FreeIPA
> replicas would be promoted to become a CRL master. Since the
> configuration cannot be dynamically altered by modifying an entry in the
> LDAP database, the proposal is to create an ipa-advise extension that
> could handle this operation instead for now. Read all about it in the
> attachement.
>
> Looking forward to your comments,
> Stanislav Láznička
>
> --
> Standa Láznička
> A Red Hat person
> PGP: 8B00 620A 713B 714E B4CB 4767 C98C 4149 36B1 A7F3
>

> # CRL master reassignment draft
>
> ## Rationale
>
> Changing the CRL master of the FreeIPA system feels complex for the users
> and is thus rather error prone from the experience of the support engineers.
>
> We should provide a more automatic way of handling this process.
>
> ## Design
>
> While FreeIPA framework offers an API to define a server role, the framework
> itself counts with all the necessary information to be available in the
> backend
> database. Assigning an IPA server as a CRL master requires access to the
> filesystem [freeipa.org:Promote CA to Renewal and CRL Master](
> https://www.freeipa.org/page/Howto/Promote_CA_to_Renewal_and_CRL_Master) and
> therefore the framework should not be used, at least not until
> PKI allows us to change this configuration aspect of the system based on the
> values stored in the database. Instead, we will use the capabilities of the
> `ipa-advise` tool. Creating a separate Python script would also be an option
> but creating a script for every possible action in IPA seems like an
> unfortunate decision to make as it would only generate a bunch of binaries
> that would be hard getting rid of when a proper solution for that certain
> problem appears.
>
> ## Implementation
> A new `ipa-advise` plugin is created - `crl_master.py`. This plugin will
> provide the user with a script that will simultaneously try to change the
> configuration files on the current CRL master making it a common CRL clone
> (should be done via ssh), and also edit the files on the current system
> so that it becomes the CRL master. The script will be based on the
> steps in the aforementioned HOWTO page.
>
> ## FEature management - CLI
> | Command | Arguments |
> | :---: | :---: |
> | ipa-advise | set-crl-master |

Thanks for the design, Standa.  One comment:

We already have `ipa-csreplica-manage set-renewal-master`.  IMO
configuring CRLs is in the same ball park, so why not make new
subcommand(s), e.g.:

  ipa-csreplica-manage [un]configure-crl-generation

If/when we support LDAP-based CRL configuration in Dogtag, we can
enhance these subcommands to work with the new configuration system.

Regardless of where we put the behaviour, 100% agree with having a
command to automate this for admins!

Cheers,
Fraser