What this says to me is that we should put less effort into the records page as seen below the zone. and put more effort into a page that shows the records associated with a specific host.

So: For the page dns->zone->records: we'll use a similar view as that shown by search results, a modal "add", delete is done off the list, and edit is done as a details type page, one per record. This is, I think, the easiest result.

We will also want a way to link from the host tab to the DNS records search result, with an option to create a DNS entry if there is not yet one. The option should create an A ( and eventually AAAA ) record for the host.

Of course, right now we don't seem to track IP addresses for hosts, so the host -> A record mapping is going to be tricky.

I'm guessing that, long term, we will need to be able to couple the host to the A record, and provide a DHCP tie in as well.

We'll probably want to track a set of MAC addresses for the host (one per NIC that can potentially DHCP), IPv4 address (again, per NIC) and IPv6 addresses.

This is, of course, not going to happen for January.

In the interim, there should be a link from host to DNS record fetched from ipa dns-show-rr where zone is the Hostname minus the value up to the first '.' and resource is the the hostname up to the first '.'