Jeff B wrote:
I'm not sure if this is a user error or a bug.  I didn't see a way to
tell OpenSSL to not require that Country be in the CSR.

Check that the request matches the signature
Signature ok
The Subject's Distinguished Name is as follows
organizationName      :PRINTABLE:'MYREALM.COM'
commonName            :PRINTABLE:'Certificate Authority'
The mandatory countryName field was missing

I didn't see anything in Trac regarding this.

I don't know a ton about OpenSSL but I think it is because the default configuration file, /etc/pki/tls/openssl.cnf, requires country. You should be able to provide your own config file to the openssl commands.