Dmitri Pal wrote:
Rob Crittenden wrote:
Let the installer override the detected hostname value with the
--hostname flag. This is likely to lead to a non-working installation
so let the buyer beware.

ticket 834

I do not think this is enough. There is a part of the ipa-client-install
other than ipa-join that assumes that host name will match. I saw that
in the log. I do not have it in front of me now. It is on hame machine.

If the -h option is provided this check/enforcement should be suppressed.
Please try running ipa-client-install with the mismatching name you will
see what I mean.

I did a successful install with the --hostname option, using another hostname in DNS. I verified that this hostname was used as the name in the host service principal in /etc/krb5.keytab.