Jakub Hrozek wrote:

I'm wondering whether to extend the patch - if the mail server name does
not end with a dot, BIND treats it as relative to the zone.

So if you do:
ipa dnsrecord-add example.com @ --mx-rec="10 mail.example.com"

dig would then return mail.example.com.example.com

The correct way of adding it is (note the trailing dot):
ipa dnsrecord-add example.com @ --mx-rec="10 mail.example.com."

This is in line with how nsupdate works, so should we just document it?
A smarter way might be to check if the hostname ends with the zone name
and append a dot, but I'm not sure if that perhaps /too/ smart..

While we're at this should we enforce that prio is >= 0 and < MAXINT ?

You can import MAXINT with: from xmlrpclib import MAXINT