Thanks, Rob.  That helps a lot.

On 04/05/2011 05:20 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
Adam Young wrote:
OK, Just looked at what we have on Automount:

http://obriend.fedorapeople.org/freeIPA2.0/Identity_and_Policy_Management_Guide/html-single/#sect-Enterprise_Identity_Management_Guide-Configuring_Automount

It doesn't have any examples of the ipa commands a user would run.

The command help has quite a few examples

ipa help automount

Here's what I'd like to be able to do:

1. Create a new locations: pretty easy, ipa automountlocation-add is
pretty easy to figure out, and a location doesn't really need that much
in the way of configuring.

2. Create a new map: Ok, direct or indirect? which is the more common,
and which is the corner case? I'm guessing that direct is the more
common, but the docs are not helpful:

It is not a question of common vs uncommon, they are used for different purposes.

automountmap-add AUTOMOUNTLOCATION MAP [options]

and no automount specific options are listed, besides description.

There are no options. When you add a map you just specify the name and the location:

ipa automountlocation-add baltimore
ipa automountmap-add baltimore auto.share
ipa automountkey-add baltimore auto.share --key=man --info="-ro,soft,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 ipa.example.com:/shared/man"

For a direct map:

ipa automountkey-add baltimore auto.direct --key=/stuff --info="-ro,soft,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 ipa.example.com:/h/stuff"

add indirect map is a little more expressive:

--mount=STR Mount point
--parentmap=STR Name of parent automount map (default: auto.master).

I tried running this command and both of these are required parameters,
although they are not annotated as such.

Is it true that only an indirect map has a mount point?

Both have mount points, they are just specified differently.

A direct map lists an exact place to mount the map (/usr/local/bin, /mnt, whatever). An indirect map defines a bucket to drop mounts into. So it might point to /share and all keys for that are relative to that. So you define a key ayoung, the map would be /share/ayoung.

Then, basically, a direct map is a degerenate case of an indirect map, with an implied 'mount point' of '/' ? It really isn't a mount point, is it, more like "map home dir"?

Moving on to Keys:

automountkey-add AUTOMOUNTLOCATION AUTOMOUNTMAP [options]
--key=IA5STR Automount key name.
--info=IA5STR Mount information

Not too bad. That is pretty clear.

The step by step here looks better.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_freeipav2_automount

Anyone that understands this care to illuminate me?